Views: 118
By: Admin
Compass Rose

Views: 109
Peace Dove

Views: 141

Author Topic: Temporary resist for painted and sandblasted surfaces?  (Read 23 times)

Terry Gallentine

• View Profile
Temporary resist for painted and sandblasted surfaces?
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
I am working on a panel that has painted tiles facing inward and sandblasting facing outward.  I have two concerns and they are:  Keeping the cement out of the sandblasted surfaces and keeping the patina from staining the painted work.  I was just wondering if anybody out there had any suggestions.  I am thinking about applying a water soluble film to the sandblasting to keep the cement from locking into the blasted glass (to be washed away after cementing) and applying a thin shellac film to the painted areas to protect them from the patina (to be washed away with alcohol after patinating).

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Temporary resist for painted and sandblasted surfaces?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 07:41:08 AM »
The sandblasted glass shouldn't be affected by cement if you clean it up quickly and if you use kiln fired paint patina will have no  reaction to the paint as well.

Terry Gallentine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 11:21:28 AM »
I am using kiln fired paint but have had trouble in the past with patina staining the image.  It shows up as a milkiness and is probably caused by the acid in the patina attacking the metal oxides in the paint.  Or so I assumed in the past.  I will clean the cement off of the sandblasting quickly but I will probably still use some masking.  Thanks

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 07:37:10 PM »
Avoid patina altogether if you are cementing your panel. No need for it.